Saturday, December 5, 2009

News: Arby 'n' the Chief: in LA S1E03

Episode three of Arby 'n' the Chief: in LA is out, and can be viewed here.  All I've done for this one is the writing and a little advice with the editing, though the script itself was a bit rushed as I was asked to whip it up in an evening for a quick shoot the next day, before I really had a chance to develop a story outline for a season.

I'm not going to regularly link to these in my list as I'm still not quite satisfied with the way they're turning out.  I notice a million little problems in it, even though that makes me sound like a turd who thinks fucking "Arby 'n' the Chief" of all things was an untouchable masterpiece (it's not).  But it at least my older episodes had some humble charm in it.  This one... not so much.

I thought the script would save it kind of, but it really doesn't.  A script is only half of what a film needs (obviously).  The script dictates what is said, and the filmmaking determines how it is said, and both are equally important.  One without the other is a failure.  That's why you can never have a good series without both a good script and a decent production.  All the great ones had both, like Seinfeld.  Not only was it superbly written but it had the right minds working behind and in front of the cameras who had incredible, bubbling chemistry - Larry David, Jerry Seinfeld, Jason Alexander, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Michael Richards, if just one of those people were taken out of the mix the show would collapse.  It's all a delicate balance.  Like I said a while ago, you just have to cross your fingers sometimes when it comes to filmmaking.

Like that one Seinfeld episode where they see the pilot they wrote airing on NBC, with alternate George, Elaine and Kramer with the butler sentenced to clean Jerry's house.  If Seinfeld had that cast instead, would you have laughed as much?  Less laughs = less ratings = less success, the example has nothing to do with the writing.

Not that I'm claiming I know shit about working a camera, but I do believe I had a little knack for it to make my stuff stand out.

However, the improvement does not end here.  It's my job to executive produce and write this entire season, and I will be working with Machinima.com to improve each episode one after another in an effort to match the original feel, so feel free to stay tuned for the fourth episode to see if there's any improvement.

Thanks,
Jon